10 November 2008

No, it's not cute.


Having long (overgrown) fringe is easily one of the most bothersome thing for me. Finding a patient hairdresser who won't butcher your hair is a close second.

Lately I've been going to a hairdresser in Northbridge for haircuts. The last 2 times have been pleasant. This hairdresser called Julie was exceptionally good and listened patiently to how I'd like my hair to be. She would also stop from time to time to ask if I was happy thus far.

So when I needed another haircut, I rang up and booked an appointment with her - even though the price had crept up since my last visit in May same year.

FUNNY THOUGH, to my great disappointment, I arrived to be told that Julie was not working that day - and I was still booked in the first place...?

In good faith I accepted another gentleman to be my hairdresser. The girl who washed my hair asked how I'd like the hair to be cut before conversing in another language to the hairdresser who spoke not a single word to me and began cutting.

Yup, not even a basic, simple "hi".

I started to feel uneasy but maintained my cool. 15 minutes later I looked up from my magazine, in confusion I stopped what he was doing. I explained that what he was doing isn't what I wanted. Then I think he got upset.

Cutting the story short, in the end he tried fixing my hair but was too late. It was easy to tell that he just wanted trouble out the door. But I don't think I gave them a hard time... I spoke quite softly and patiently so imagine not getting any word of apology from anyone. In fact they (hairdresser, woman at counter and girl who washed hair) made me feel like it was my fault for not explaining "properly". Well, I said the same thing to Julie last time and she understood quite well.

I asked for a side fringe, I got a straight fringe, sadly the layers on the left is not even with the right neither are the length.

Towards the end of the haircut I heard him saying in foreign language (but i understood) "thankfully it's okay" - just becused I didn't complain does not mean you did the right thing eh.

Remembering that I have to be forgiving, I paid the full price, smiled and left. Coming home examining my hair and it was not happy Jane.

I don't think I will go back there again, ever.

For me the lack of communication in English was a huge problem and the pride was perhaps a little too great. I thought it was most unethical of him to not fix my hair properly, makes me wonder if he did it on purpose.

In the past I've always been recommending EVERY one of my friends, collegues and family the service of the hairdresser and they have indeed been visiting. That will surely be a thing of the past from now on. I don't think I hate them and I am certainly not saying that people should stop going. I am just sharing an experience which happened to me. I understand no one is perfect, it was just unfortunate that I had a bad experience PLUS bad atmosphere AND the lack of ethic (in my personal opinion) pushed me over the line of second chance.

One more place to try or it's back to Toni&Guy for me.


I do remember mummy saying that it was "cute". But that's not the point. It's not what I wanted ... Plus, she's my mum, naive haircut or not, she loves me unconditionally.


This haircut makes me feel 19.

Fringe or no fRinge, that's an obvious question.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails