09 June 2009

Transperth Infringement part I

I can't find my Smartrider.

On the Sunday morning it sat safely in the phone pocket of my bag and by Monday it had vanished into thin air.

When searching high and low availed to nothing, I turned on the ignorance button. Seriously hoping for it to surprise me one day by suddenly spawning in the most obvious place like my wallet.

In waiting for this hope to materialise, I began purchasing cash concession tickets without Autoload's 25% off benefit.

Days later I promised to meet up with Wui Chien and show her around Perth. I bought a concession dayrider ticket, making extra sure that my student card was on me.

We went to Subi for lunch then Claremont for a stroll. Each leg of the trip I was asked to produce a concession card which I did and was allowed entry & exit. Arriving at Perth train station to meet up with Rowena before going home together, an Asian Transperth guard asked to see my student card.

Then he asked for my ID.

Then he began writing me a ticket.

Well, apparently he needed to see my Smartrider and not the student card... That didn't make sense because had I my Smartrider I wouldn't need to purchase a cash ticket!

As the guard was writing up the fine, he silenced my protest by assuring that the fine can be lifted. When he gave me the ticket he changed the story to say that there is no guarantee. If I want to appeal I'll have to write Transperth a letter within 28 days, send in a photocopy of my Smartrider and wait.

On the train home Rowena said to think of it as giving back 5% of my stimulus package :_<

27 days later, I still can't find the Smartrider to take a photocopy of it.

Ok you win Transperth, I'll pay $50 for a closure and a peace of mind. For the last month it was eating away at me.

On the 28th day which was yesterday, I was back at the Perth Train Station. Walking up to the counter, I pulled out a $50 bill and asked to settle the fine.

As he was writing up the receipt, the man behind the counter suddenly asked if I think I am doing the right thing.

"What do you mean?" I asked back.

"Well if like you said you are a full time student, then why are you paying the penalty?"

Not wanting to drag the matter any further, I explained that I currently have exams to worry about. The last thing for me now is to send in a complaint letter, begin the waiting game, get asked to produce more documents but I'll be away from the country so I'll just pay for it thanks.

"Ok it's up to you, but you realise their office is just across from us right?"

I turned around and indeed, the man behind Transperth counter is right, staring back at me 50 meters away are the blue doors to the infringement office.

"Take your infringement there and ask to speak to someone. If they say no just come back and I'll take your $50."

Running toward the blue doors my heart was pumping like crazy. "Lord, what does this all mean? What are You showing me? What do I do now? Lord please please please guide me!" My heart shouted out to God.

1 comment:

Bruce M. Axtens said...

Got my first ever infringement notice yesterday evening. Cycled to Guildford, had problems with the bike, and boarded the train without tagging on. Between Canning Bridge and Bull Creek the inspector scanned the card and instead of the green light, I got the red one. Poor guy, he was very apologetic, but I told him if was my stupidity and he shouldn't feel bad about doing his job.

Will I appeal? Probably. What will I learn from this? Patience, for a start. I hope, too, that the fruit of the Spirit was evident to all in my dialogue with the inspector.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails