18 April 2009

Food diary

Aunty Le left in the fridge 2 big crabs when I went over to visit on Wednesday,

her note said they were lunch for Vy and I.

Look at the size of the claws!

Instead of boiling as the Le family does, I scoured through the kitchen cupboards for a steamer and cooked the crabs that way. I find that boiling ruins the consistency of the meat while steaming keeps the meat delicate and crab "juice" sealed. Steaming is a very easy task, simply place a wet cloth at the base of the steamer, layer the crabs and close the lid! When the crabs turn a nice shiny orange, turn the steamer off. But remember to check on the water constantly. As the steam escapes, water level drops so remember to top up from time to time.

I also made lemon lime bitters in time the crabs were cooking. Making your own lemon lime bitters means you can add more of everything for a stronger (better) flavour :)

The crabs are ready to eat! The claws had to be snapped off as the pot wasn't big enough :( Vy's family uses lemon juice, salt and cracked black pepper for dipping but I find that it overpowers the taste of crab meat. So dialing an SOS call to master chef Dad, he taught me his secret receipe. He's used this sauce (a sweetish vineragry sauce) for years and years, I prefer it because it takes away the 'sea' smell and brings out the natural sweetness of crab meat. Once you try it, you'll never have steam crabs any other way!

2 weeks ago I bought a punnet of strawberries for $3.50! But that's actually considered cheap because strawberries are normally $4.50 a punnet. I suddenly had cravings for caramelized strawberries or "tang hu lu" if you speak chinese. It is a popular traditional snack in Asia especially China, Taiwan and Japan. Various kinds of fruits are candied, put on bamboo skewers and sold in pasam malams (night markets). Fruits like chinese hawthorn, mandarin, strawberries (the best), kiwifruit, bananas, grapes, cherry tomatoes (most common), etc etc can be used.

Vendors engaging in active trade :) When I was very young, 'tang hu lu' were made, stuck into a post and an uncle would carry the post on his back. He'd yell loudly "tang hu lu... tang hu lu... come and get your tang hu lu" while walking down the street. I remember chasing after him in little footsteps, giving him TWD$15 (~AUD$0.5) in exchange for his sweet creation. He'd often pat me on the head before yelling out again "tang hu lu... tant hu lu... come and get your tang hu lu".

Taiwanese like to use pickled sweet prunes with cherry tomatoes (as seen in above picture) as well as little pickled pears.

My cravings started as soon as I stumbled into a shop which sold candied fruits in Melbourne last month. "OOOOO you've got to try this!" I said excitedly to Rowena. I bought a strawberry skewer for $5 and the two of us devoured it.

Boiling the sugar syrup mix that dad helped me to mke.

First strawberry skewer!!!

Don't they just look so delicious??? Steven had none, Mum had half a skewer, Dad had the other half and I had the rest. Steven was at uni and mum said not to wait for him :P

Caught licking the spoon. It was that good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails