25 April 2008

Sizzing Vaccination

There's something scary about a medical center that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems every time I'm there a bad memory is created.

First I'd only go because I'm feeling under the weather, so that in itself is an unfavorable start. Contrast that to going on a shopping trip... no prize for guessing which I'd prefer... or anyone would prefer for that matter. My childhood memory only fuels the unpleasant feelings. Mum said I was in the hospital a lot when I was young; from the NICU to having a very high fever that mum was by my bedside for 3 days straight, the wires and heart monitor thing that made me miss out multiple sports classes, needles, stitches, motorbike accident, and of course, Dr Wang from Chinese herbal medicine center who magnified the pain from a sprained neck and wrapped funny herbs on a sore thumb. Looking back now God's grace is evident in so many stages, only by His grace I am still alive today.

Now days I hardly get sick. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I had a cold, although I did sprain my neck during Christmas, went to the ER for severe tummy ache a few months back and cough from time to time because of a bronchitis 6yrs ago. OK, so maybe I'm not bullet proof, that's probably why mum booked a vaccination appointment for me 2 days ago.

As usual, my brother and I were mucking around in the doctor's office while mum and dad chatted to him. We were measuring our heights, weights and playing the "do you know your organs" game (courtesy of the huge poster on doc's wall). Then he sent the nurse to give us our vaccinations. Mum and dad were as relaxed as if they were having a dim sum lunch, Stevo had to wait till next week due to a small fever. I was all smiles, took my seat, rolled up my sleeve but as soon as the nurse took off the cap off the needle, I chickened out. I absolutely refused to let her come near me, wriggled around in my chair and covered my arm with my hand. The nurse was least sympathetic and instructed boldly for me not to move or she'd miss and I'd suffer... I was in tears and she comforted me not, how unprofessional? (LOL it was my fault acutally :P) In the end challenged by Stevo's smart comments, I had to let go. "Just like a bee sting" I self-hypnotized, "AWWWWWWW" and screamed ever so loudly when it WAS NOT LIKE A BEE STING!!!

Seeing the cotton wool being sticky taped to the needle puncture was great relief, finding out I had 3 more shots was not. I urged mum to quickly make payment and left without making a formal booking, "YES!" I thought, Julia 1 : Medical Center 0... : Julia's health 0. THAT'S IT, I'll ring up next week to make appointment for next week's next week, that'll provide 2 weeks of self denial, i mean prep.

For dinner, we had Sizzlers. The buffet hype is still well and alive. Dad wasn't impressed, he likes his food from a hot wok and has little love for cold salads and tiramisu. Mum tried to eat heaps but felt the same as dad, I was happy with lots of ice cream drowning in strawberry topping =)

The night ended with a full stomach and sore arm... t'was all good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails