26 March 2011

The house hunting expedition has begun


I finally arrived home after an epic day of house hunting.

Originally, I hoped that as soon as work finished, I could hurry home to eat lunch and map out a route for this afternoon's hunt. Unfortunately work finished rather late which meant that I only had time to scoff down a bowl of bak kut teh and a tin of tuna. Glancing at the clock and realising that it was already 1:25pm, I quickly grabbed the newspaper and left the house without any clue of where to begin! I ended up finding the closest house to home and began driving. In the car I remembered Proverbs 16:9 which says "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps". Indeed, I can't move unless God gives force so drive I shall!

Anyway, back to house hunting. 'Pleasant' weather to kick off my first home buyer's journey right? 35 degree heat! There aren't many things in life that are as nerve wrecking, yet exciting at the same time, as the search for a house. I guess in a way that kept me motivated despite of the humid weather today.

First of all, allow me to send a little package of complements to Google for its Google Map App on iPhone! Finding my way around in the different suburbs was a completely painless exercise. Not only did it save time and petrol by me not getting lost, I also visited two properties that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. The Compass on Google Map is an extremely helpful navigation tool =)

In the end I visited six properties. Some good, some could be better. I saw a house today I really liked. It's newly refurbished with spacious living space and definitely move-in ready. Honestly, stretching the budget to put in an offer for this house, I know I will definitely regret it big time in the future. In other words, I might have a pretty place, but I'd also become its slave. I was afraid I might be so overwhelmed with meeting mortgage repayments that I'd forget my real purpose for working is to bring God glory. So, the decision was clearly to let it go.

I was slightly disappointed but I'm completely at peace. Seeing as I have no intention whatsoever for my first home to be my 'forever home'. One advise my colleague Alison has suddenly pops into mind: 'just remember Sweet, buy with your head, not your heart". Sweet potatoes, she's right! I realised that I did sidetrack momentarily from the path of reality to dream. Hang on a second, I wasn't put on this earth to pursue an elusive dream! 

Please pray for me. I truly hope that this house can be used to bring God glory. I don't know how yet. 

So, I wait. And, continue the hunt. 
With prayer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails